The CESS Graduate Student Paper Award recognizes exceptional papers written by current graduate students and presented at either the Annual Conference or Regional Conference. One Graduate Student Paper Award is presented at every CESS conference, whether annual or regional, unless no papers of sufficient quality to merit the award are submitted. Winners of the prize are honored at the conference at which they present the paper, are awarded $500, and offered the opportunity to publish their paper in Central Asian Survey.
Each year, an interdisciplinary panel of three scholars of Central Eurasian studies is chosen by the CESS Board and tasked with choosing a winner. Papers are evaluated for their originality, appropriate use of sources, and the quality of writing.
2018: Enerelt Enkhbold, National University of Mongolia, for the paper The Khan’s Merchant: The Evolution of Commercial Partnerships in the Mongolian Empire.
To be eligible, the following criteria must be met:
- The student’s paper must have been accepted for presentation at the relevant CESS Annual or Regional Conference;
- The applicant must have been must have been registered as a graduate student in the semester/term preceding the conference (e.g. for the 2018 Annual Conference, the semester/term ending by September 2018).
- Submissions to the Annual Conference must be in English; submissions to the Regional Conference may be in either English or Russian.
The paper should be consistent with the framework of those presented at the CESS Annual and Regional Conferences, addressing any topic in the humanities or social science study of Central Eurasia. Papers are evaluated for their originality, appropriate use of sources, and quality of writing. The paper may be drawn from thesis work or intended for eventual publication, and should conform to standard academic guidelines in terms of style and presentation.
How to apply [nominations not currently being accepted]
Submissions for the CESS 2018 Annual Conference Graduate Student Paper Award closed on August 15, 2018.
Papers accepted for the CESS 2018 Annual Conference could be submitted for the Graduate Student Paper Award starting June 15 until August 15, 2018. The requrired application materials were:
- Your paper (see eligibility criteria above) – in pdf format;
- Proof that you were registered as a graduate student in the semester/term preceding the Annual Conference – e.g. a scan of your student card or official letter from your institution;
- Name of your degree e.g. PhD in History, PhD in Anthropology;
- For record keeping purposes only, please also tell us your citizenship and gender. This information is NOT shared with the committee as it is irrelevant to the quality of your paper.
The 2018 panel for the Annual Conference Graduate Student Paper Award was Daniel Schafer (Chair), Michele Commercio, and Eva-Marie Dubuisson.