Pre-Conference Workshops will be offered again at the CESS 2019 Annual Conference, following their successful introduction at the CESS 2018 Annual Conference in Pittsburgh. Intended to provide additional opportunities for scholarly engagement and training, the workshops will be held on October 9 (afternoon) and October 10 (morning), 2019.
Propose a Pre-Conference Workshop
We invite CESS members to design and propose either a half day workshop or a workshop that runs over two half days.
Possible workshop topics include: ethics and safety in field research, guidance for doctoral students preparing for fieldwork, methods workshops (best practices in archival research, qualitative data analysis, interview best practices, participatory approaches), publishing/preparing research for submission, teaching about the region and workshopping syllabi, conducting public scholarship, grant proposal writing, gender studies.
We are open to other proposals, such as informative field trips in Washington, D.C., a symposium on a particular research topic, or some other practical learning activity not envisioned here.
A small honorarium will be offered to facilitators.
Each proposal must include:
1) the pre-conference workshop title
2) facilitator’s name(s) and position(s)
3) workshop length (half day or two half days)
4) the ideal number of participants
5) a description of the pre-conference workshop, including the pedagogical approach (no more than 500 words)
6) brief bio(s) of the facilitators and explanation of preparedness to run this pre-conference workshop (maximum 100 words)
7) necessary technical facilities/support
8) detailed workshop plan/outline (maximum one page)
To submit a pre-conference workshop application, please complete the form at http://tiny.cc/CESS2019-workshops by Wednesday May 1, 2019 (23.59 Eastern Standard Time).
How to Participate
This information is retained from the pre-conference workshops held in 2018 for reference only. Details of how to apply to participate in the 2019 pre-conference workshops will be available later in 2019.
Descriptions of the pre-conference workshops held in 2018, the number of maximum participants for each workshop, the date/time, the eligibility criteria, and additional application materials required can be found in the CESS 2018 Pre-conference workshop descriptions document.
To apply to participate, delegates were requested to:
1) Submit an application form for each pre-conference workshop that you wish to attend. [The form is now closed]
2) For most of the workshops you must also submit additional application materials to the facilitator(s). Details were given in the workshop descriptions document.
Pre-conference workshops are open to anyone who is registered for the CESS Annual Conference. However, where space is limited, priority will be given to Central Eurasian scholars for access reasons.