The window to submit proposals for Pre-Conference Workshops closed on March 28, but we hope you will register for these workshops when registration opens in June.
Pre-conference workshops will be offered for the time at the 2018 CESS Annual Conference. Intended to provide additional opportunities for scholarly engagement and training, these half-day workshops will be held from 1-5pm on Wednesday, October 24 and 9am-2pm on Thursday, October 25. Workshops will require sign-up and pre-payment at the time of conference registration and will fill on a first-come basis.
Organize a Pre-Conference Workshop at the Annual Conference
We invite CESS members to design and propose either a half-day workshop or a workshop that runs over two half-days. Possible workshop topics include: ethics and safety in field research; guidance for doctoral students preparing for fieldwork; methods-base workshops (e.g. best practices in archival research, qualitative data analysis, interviewing best practices, participatory approaches); preparing research for publication; composing grant narratives and proposals; pedagogy and workshopping syllabi. CESS is open to other workshop proposals such as informative/relevant field trips in Pittsburgh, a symposium on a particular research topic, or some other practical learning activity not envisioned here.
Workshops should be designed to be self-financing, so that attendees will pay to participate. The workshop fee will cover the facilitators’ costs for that day, including meals, space rental, workshop materials, etc. Depending upon the length and scope of the workshop, fees should typically range between $15-$40 per person.
Please estimate costs to the best of your ability and inform the selection committee of what the workshop fees will cover.
Once the workshop proposals are selected, costs for any meals, space rental fees, technical assistance costs, and any applicable fee waivers for graduate students and regional scholars will be calculated and added to the workshop budget. We anticipate including one working meal and one snack per half-day workshop in this budget.
Submit a Proposal for a Pre-Conference Workshop
To submit a pre-conference workshop proposal, please complete this form by March 28 (11:59pm EST). Your proposal must include:
- name, contact information, and position/ institution of the the faciliator(s)
- a workshop title
- the workshop’s length (choose either a half-day or two half-days)
- the ideal/desired number of workshop participants
- a description of the workshop, including the pedagogical approach (no more than 500 words)
- a detailed workshop plan/ outline (one page maximum)
- a brief bio of the facilitator(s) and a statement of preparedness to run this workshop
- a description of necessary technical support/ equipment
- a preliminary workshop budget (including a specific materials budget, a small facilitator honorarium, and other relevant costs)