The window to submit applications for 2018 Annual Conference travel grants closed on March 28. If you submitted an application, outcomes were submitted June 1.
CESS is delighted to offer travel grants for the 2018 Annual Conference. These grants are intended to encourage and enable scholars from the Central Eurasia region to participate in global academic networks and the CESS scholarly community.
The fixed-amount grants of $1,500 USD are intended to support travel-related expenses (economy airfare, ground transportation, economy lodging, visa costs, etc). Applicants themselves and/or their home institutions must cover any additional expenses. Funding for these grants is provided by CESS and the Open Society Foundations.
Grants will be paid in cash at the end of the conference upon presentation of 1) supporting documentation showing that the grantholder has incurred costs related to travelling to and presenting at the conference and 2) a digital copy of the paper presented at the conference.
Selection & Eligibility Criteria
CESS uses the following criteria to make its selections, and priority is given to early-career scholars and applicants who have not previously received a travel grant from CESS. The applicant:
- has a presentation proposal has been accepted for the CESS 2018 Annual Conference in Pittsburgh;
- comes from the Central Eurasia region, broadly defined as: Central Asia; the Caucasus; Iran; Afghanistan; Tibet; Mongolia; Siberia; Inner Asia; the Black Sea region; the Volga region; and East or Central Europe
- has a record or holds promise of fostering public discourse in the scholar’s home context
- has a record or holds promise of advancing institution-building by promoting quality academic scholarship in the scholar’s home context
- holds promise for a productive scholarly career
- is capable of executing high quality scholarship in the English language
- is in financial need
The window to submit applications for 2018 Annual Conference travel grants closed on March 28. If you submitted an application, you will receive an outcome by the end of May. Registration will open in May/June and we hope to see you at the conference in October!