Join the information session on Zoom about the program Writing Across Boundaries to find out more about the content of the program, how to apply, and who is eligible.
When: Wednesday, Sep 27, 2023, 08:00 AM Central Time (US and Canada)
Register in advance for this meeting:
About the program:
To integrate new research and perspectives from underrepresented regions and groups in English-language publishing outlets in Russian, Eurasian and East European Studies, the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, the Melikian Center for Russian, Eurasian and East European Studies at Arizona State University, and University of Amsterdam are inviting applications for their Writing Across Boundaries Program. Doctoral students, postdoctoral researchers, and other early career scholars from all disciplines in the arts and humanities and the social sciences are encouraged to apply.
Established in 2022, the program introduces early career scholars based in, or originating from, Central and Eastern Europe, Russia, Central Asia, and the Caucasus, to the academic journal publishing process. The Writing Across Boundaries Program seeks to provide an inclusive environment where authors engage each other in conversation about writing, editing, and preparing a manuscript for submission to an English-language, peer-reviewed professional journal. The overall goal of this program is to familiarize authors with different stages of developing a manuscript. These include:
- · Identifying journals for publication;
- · Interpreting submission guidelines and requirements;
- · Working with drafts;
- · Structuring effective arguments;
- · Understanding the peer review process;
- · Conducting revisions and incorporating feedback from reviewers;
- · Communicating with editors and editorial staff;
- · Interpreting article acceptance and rejection notices.
- Through informal conversations and hands-on workshops, participants will acquire tools to navigate the daunting and time-consuming experience of publishing their research in a professional journal.
- · Upload your resume or CV
- · Upload an advanced draft of your manuscript [unpublished or not currently under review]. 6,000-8,000 words, with complete references
- · Upload statement of purpose (400-500 words) on why you want to participate in the Writing Across Boundaries program and what your goals are for this manuscript.