The Central Eurasian Studies Society (CESS) is pleased to announce the call for submissions for the Graduate Student Paper Award. This prestigious award is granted annually to outstanding papers written by graduate students and presented at the CESS Annual Conference.
- Prize: $500 and an opportunity to publish in the Central Asian Survey.
- Selection Panel: An interdisciplinary panel of three scholars, appointed by the CESS Board.
- Award Announcement: Post-conference, unless there are no qualifying submissions or the conference is not held.
- Conference Participation: The paper must be accepted for presentation at the CESS Annual Conference.
- Student Status: Applicants should be registered as graduate students in the semester/term preceding the conference (for the 2023 conference, the qualifying term ends by September 2023).
- Relevance: Papers should align with themes typically presented at CESS Annual and Regional Conferences, covering any humanities or social science aspect of Central Eurasian studies.
- Academic Standards: Submissions must adhere to academic norms in style, length, and presentation. They may be based on thesis work or intended for publication.
Papers will be judged based on:
- Originality: Innovative approaches, methodologies, or conclusions; exploring new topics or evidence.
- Research: Depth and breadth of research, familiarity with relevant literature, and responsible use of evidence.
- Argument and Presentation: Clarity, precision, logical structure, and scholarly context.
- Deadline: December 1, 2023.
- Materials Required:
- Your paper in PDF format.
- Proof of graduate student status.
- Degree title (e.g., PhD in History, MA in Anthropology).
- Optional: Citizenship and gender identity (for records only, not evaluated).
Submissions should be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- 2022: Yipeng Zhou (Harvard University, US) and Amanda Caterina Leong (honorable mention, University of California, Merced, US).
- 2019: Claire Roosien (University of Chicago, US).
- View the complete list of past winners online.
We look forward to receiving your innovative and insightful contributions to the field of Central Eurasian studies. Good luck!