CESS is now accepting submissions from graduate students for the CESS 2018 Annual Conference Graduate Student Paper Award. Details are below and at our Graduate Student Paper Awards page. Submissions will be accepted from June 15-August 15, inclusive.
The CESS Graduate Student Paper Award recognizes exceptional papers written by current graduate students and presented at either the Annual Conference or Regional Conference. One Graduate Student Paper Award is presented at every CESS conference, whether annual or regional, unless no papers of sufficient quality to merit the award are submitted. Winners of the prize are honored at the conference at which they present the paper, are awarded $500, and offered the opportunity to publish her or his paper in Central Asian Survey.
Each year, an interdisciplinary panel of three scholars of Central Eurasian studies is chosen by the CESS Boardand tasked with choosing a winner. Papers are evaluated for their originality, appropriate use of sources, and the quality of writing. The 2018 panel for the Annual Conference Graduate Student Paper Award is: Daniel Schafer (Chair), Michele Commercio, and Eva-Marie Dubuisson.
To be eligible, the following criteria must be met:
- The student’s paper must have been accepted for presentation at the CESS 2018 Annual Conference;
- The applicant must have been must have been registered as a graduate student in the semester/term preceding the conference (i.e. the semester/term ending by September 2018).
- Submissions to the Annual Conference must be in English.
The paper should be consistent with the framework of those presented at the CESS Annual Conference, addressing any topic in the humanities or social science study of Central Eurasia. Papers are evaluated for their originality, appropriate use of sources, and quality of writing. The paper may be drawn from thesis work or intended for eventual publication, and should conform to standard academic guidelines in terms of style and presentation.
How to apply (2018)
Papers accepted for CESS 2018 can be submitted for the 2018 Annual Conference Graduate Student Paper Award from June 15 until August 15, 2018. To apply, please email the following to the CESS Administrative Coordinator (firstname.lastname@example.org):
- Your paper (see eligibility criteria above) – in pdf format;
- Proof that you were registered as a graduate student in the semester/term preceding the Annual Conference – e.g. a scan of your student card or official letter from your institution;
- Name of your degree e.g. PhD in History, PhD in Anthropology;
- For record keeping purposes only, please also tell us your citizenship and gender. This information is NOT shared with the committee as it is irrelevant to the quality of your paper.